Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Earth, Wind and Fire

An Earthquake, A Speaking Engagement, and A Car Fire at Samsung

I attended a Samsung meeting in Palo Alto, California and of course had to stay the night with Kristen and Andrew in Berkeley while in the Bay area. 
 
We had a wonderful dinner out and then during the night I experienced my first earthquake.  I've never been in an earthquake before.  It was a strange feeling. It felt like the main floor of your house dropped into the basement and this was only a 3.2 magnitude.

I spoke at Rutgers University

I was thrilled to be asked by the Women In Business Club to speak at Rutgers University in Newark, New Jersey regarding my experiences as a 'woman in technology'...
 
 The event was very nice and drew about 30 students both male and female.  A nice dinner was served and comments such as "This is the kind of stuff that they don't teach you in class" were said.   I was pleased to participate and agreed to speak again next year.

Good News, Bad News

I took the red eye flight home to make a meeting on Wednesday morning at Samsung in Ridgefield Park, NJ.  At about 2 p.m. I was packing my things up to go home and sleep when the fire alarm went off.  We all thought it was a drill until the black smoke came over the top of the building and the fire trucks and news helicopters showed up.




We hung around outside wondering if and when we might get either back into the building or at least to our cars. 

This is Julie working hard...haha!  Julie was my Summer Intern from Rutger's.  She is getting her second Masters Degree...this one an MBA.   I hired Julie as a Temp after her internship ended and as you can see it was a good hire (a little fire didn't slow her down) she is smiling because she still had internet connection. :)


 The Bad News was that three cars burned.  The Good News was that my car was number five in line. That's my black Honda with the Minnesota plates. Other than being covered in soot and smelled like burnt plastic the car was fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment